Monastic Ruins III

"Margam Abbey"In 1147 Robert Consul, Earl of Gloucester, granted the French abbey of Clairvaux all the land between the rivers Afan and Kenfig in South Wales in order to found a daughter house. Subsequently, a group of white-robed monks of the Cistercian Order, settled there and began to build a new monastery, which they called “Margan”. Many manuscripts have survived from the scriptorium of the monastery, including the priceless copy of the Doomsday Book, which is now in the hands of the British Museum.

 

Advertisements